Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Never Enuf


ever since i realized there waz someone callt
a colored girl an evil woman a bitch or a nag
i been tryin not to be that & leave bitterness
in somebody else's cup/ come to somebody to love me
without deep & nasty smellin scald from lye or bein
left screamin in a street fulla lunatics/ whisperin
slut bitch bitch nigga/ get outta here wit alla that/
i didn't have any of that for you/i brought you what joy
i found & i found joy/

lady in orange, Ntozake Shange

Last Friday we saw Ntozake Shange's "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf".

We have been transported, inspired and touched -- divinely. Words whispered in our ears, hit us in the face, snuck around our backs and sat defiantly on our shoulders. Shange's words, brought to life by the seven mesmerizing women who were the ladies in brown, orange, yellow, red, blue, green and purple, held us hostage and demanded we respond. The set was minimal, streamlined lighting and spare costumes. Shange's words and the women's emotion didn't need to be embellished. The stories carried themselves. It took us a minute to come back to our every day public selves when the play ended. When an artist moves you to places in yourself you have forgotten about or been denying for so long, it can sometimes take a minute to come to. If you have not seen or heard of this play or Ntozake Shange you must find out who she is and read something she's written. NOW!


I really enjoyed the play and the actresses were beyond what I ever expected. I was inspired. I wanted to dance. I thought of spoken word. I thought of art. It was educational and still relevant to black females today. I would definitely see it again. The lady in green seemed to be me when I closed my eyes -- her voice and her style.
--Giselle

**************************


The play was not what I expected but I wouldn't change it. It was the best play I've EVER seen and I wish more people had the chance to see it. Words really can't sum up how I felt.

I could feel the woman in red's pain. The actor really brought her character to life and made you feel like you were sitting there when the tragedy happened. I also liked the fact that everything else was kept simple to make you focus on the story and actors. The music interludes came at just the right time and set just the right tone. What I would take from this in creating my own play would be that things don't have to always be flashy and fake happy for it to be a good or entertaining show. It is also important to be committed to your character and the story you are telling.

A passage I really related to:

& she never looked back to smile
or acknowledge a sincere 'hey mama'
or to meet the eyes of someone
purposely findin somethin to do in her direction

all girls and women can relate to this because every time you go out in the street someone is calling your name or trying to get your attention -- especially men who know they are too old for you.
--Rijke

***************************

I really liked the fact that every person in the play was a necessary part of the production. The energy was high and everyone was lost in their character. I think the ladies really brought the words to life. I read the book the day before and really FELT them during the play. I realize that even though the book was written so many years before I was born those words still serve a purpose today. I really and truly can say I connected to every story. I felt their joy, sorrow and pain. I give this two thumbs up, ten stars and a huge thank you!

this passage is me:

/especially cuz i can make the music loud enuf/ so there is no me but dance/ & when
i can dance like that/ there's nothin cd hurt me/ but i get tired & i haveta come offa the floor

--Br-yee

Thank You, Ntozake Shange!

Tell us about your favorite story, play, song, sculpture, movie, photograph, moment, person.



What moves you?
What makes you not know whether to laugh or cry?
What is your art?
What sustains and inspires you?


Strength & Love,

BlackLight

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Women of Blacklight, it sounds like you're having a fantastic time of enlightenment, self-exploration, emotional openness, and creative growth. Pay attention to what brings you joy in life, and pursue it. Fill your life to overflowing with it, and let your positive spirit radiate outwards to enrich others. Walk tall, and with purpose...you're embarking on a great journey!

--Patricia